The Flare is a usable distraction item that can be thrown to divert a monster's attention from the player or its surroundings.When the Flare is thrown, it emits a large amount of green light in a wide radius with a constant fizzing sound effect. All monsters in the vicinity are immediately attracted to the flare and will patrol a small area around its location for a brief moment. Flares are useful items for when the player wants to maintain a more stealthy approach during a level and may also be useful for improving visibility long after the monsters attention has been diverted.
The player's Flare capacity can be increased by purchasing upgrades at Egg Chin's shop.
Flares are a common item found the game, appearing in many rooms naturally and having a chance of spawning in crates, cabinets and drawers.
- The player always starts the game with 7 flares in their inventory.
- Flares can be purchased from Egg Chin's shop for 5 coins each.
- It's possible to find 4 flares from a single crate, cabinet or drawer.
- Flares can spawn on the ground in certain locked rooms.
- A few rooms in the Sewers have natural flare spawn locations, but may not always spawn during a playthrough.
- Flares have a chance of spawning on shelves in the large Storage Rooms found on earlier levels.
- It's recommended that the player leave the area after throwing a flare as any monster close by will be quickly drawn to the disturbance.
- Flares can be used in conjunction with Pipe Bombs to help cluster a group of enemies before killing them with the Pipe's explosion.
- Flares have a large aggro radius and can even bait monsters through walls.
- Players facing against walls can throw their flares right through them, attracting distant, unseen enemies.
- The flare appears to have the same world model as the Shotgun shells used for shotgun ammo.
- On rare occurrences, a cluster of 4 flares can spawn from crates and cabinets.
- Flares stay on the ground forever, but monsters are only distracted for a short time.
- Flares can be moved around by the player, creating a mobile light source.
- Enemies ignore any objects in their path heading towards the flare, this can humorously result in objects crashing and flying all over the place as they forcefully push them aside.